Home > MC & DOT Numbers
Sort By:
Page of 1
Dot Number Dot Number

What is a USDOT Number?

A USDOT number is an identification number issued and used by the FMCSA and Department of Transportation to track and monitor a company's safety record.

Who Needs It?

A USDOT number is required for any company that owns or operates a Commercial Vehicle with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 10,001 lbs or more, transporting Cargo or a vehicle transporting 9 or more Passengers in Interstate Commerce. USDOT is also required on any intrastate carriers hauling hazardous materials which require a safety permit.

There are states that require USDOT numbers for all commercial motor vehicle registrants such as: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

Once you are required to have a USDOT number, knowing what classification and scope of authority your particular type of business operates in and what cargo classifications describe your commodities is crucial.

  • The scopes of authority are Interstate (crossing state lines or hauling cargo intended to cross state lines) and Intrastate (hauling cargo within a particular state's borders).
  • The classifications for a USDOT carrier are mostly Private, For-hire or Exempt For-Hire. However, there are other classifications listed on our form such as Private Passengers- (business), Private Passengers- (non-business), Migrant, U.S. Mail, Federal Government, State Government, Local Government, and Indian Tribe. It is possible for a company to be listed with more than one classification.
  • The Cargo classifications are listed on our form for you to choose from. If your commodity is not listed simply select other and type in what commodities you are hauling.

Our Price: $125.00

FMCSA's $300 Application Fee will apply. This Price is Our Service Fee only. One of our account managers will be in contact to collect additional information to process your $300 payment directly with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration(FMCSA).

There are four different types of Operating Authority for interstate transportation and it is possible for a company to have more than one type of authority. They include:

  • Carrier of Property - A for hire motor carrier that transports regulated property owned by others for compensation.
  • Passenger Carrier* - A for hire motor carrier that transports passengers for compensation.
  • Household Goods* - A for hire motor carrier that transports household goods (other peoples' personal belongings) for compensation (i.e. a moving company).
  • Broker of Property - A person or company that arranges or offers to arrange for transportation of property by an authorized motor carrier. Brokers do not assume responsibility for the cargo.

This package includes:

  • Motor Carrier Number (MC #) Application & $300 FMCSA Filing Fee
  • USDOT Number Application
  • BOC-3 Process Agent Filing ( Good for Life )

Our Price: $195.00